Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11 5 years later


Since today is the 5th anniversary of the attacks on 9/11 I thought I'd tell you where I was when I found out.

I was just waking up and turned on the TV. I saw a close-up of the 1st tower hit and it was on fire and smoking. At first, I thought I was watching a movie and then I started listening to the commentary. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, then moments later I saw the 2nd plane hit, live. Now we knew this was no accident.

I remember being afraid and concerned the rest of the day as we found out about the crash in Pennsylvania and the Pentagon. I live near D/FW International Airport and the sounds of planes flying overhead is about as common as birds chirping so the silence was noticeable. We didn't know what was going to happen next.

A year later we visited the 9/11 exhibit in Washington D.C. You could have heard a pin drop in that section of the American History Museum and it was packed with hundreds of people, elbow to elbow. This really was our nation's history.

I think having lived in a time like this is makes me appreciate my family and friends just a little bit more than I did before because you never know what's going to happen next.

The image posted is of a soldier guarding the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Where were you? What is your story and experience?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work as always! The changing of the guard really brings a tear to your eye!