Friday, September 29, 2006

My brother, Ryan






Back in the Fall of 1994, I was a college student at the University of Texas at Austin studying photojournalism. I seemed to be most drawn by documentary work which is what I still love today through weddings and family reunions I shoot. My brother, Ryan, was 5 years-old and a great subject. I used to come home to the D/FW area to shoot him just being himself. He turned 17 this month. It takes me back to such a simple and happy time. Today he's not much of a talker nor happy-go-lucky like he was back then. He's more pensive now, although, a good kid, stays out of trouble and VERY smart. I gathered over 300 images from the project that was all done by hand, it's been a lot easier to edit using CD's and Photoshop! The little girl behind the tree was one of his classmates and the woman he's leaning against is our mother.
I love you, Ryan, I hope you can see that in my work then and now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that little boy so much! He was so alive, happy, kind and unconcerned with what the people around him may think. My brother, Ryan, has grown up to be a smart and handsome young man. But every once and awhile I see, the careful boy that I remember him as a child.